Monday, December 11, 2006

Module 2 - Tasks (Newsgroups)

Dealing with newgroups is like dealing with purveyors of miracle cures, your mostly just left feeling a bit sick in the stomach. As described in an earlier post I have a preference to use my gmail account for email. Outlook Express is not in sync with my gmail account. I contacted my ISP provider and created a newsgroup account through their server at news.server.bigpond.net.au. Although, after browsing various usenet newsgroup postings and reading some of the comments posted on the Curtin discussion board regarding newsgroup content I decided to stick with using Google Groups ( http://groups-beta.google.com/ ). I chose to view all content online rather than receive email.

I subscribed to misc.kids as my toddler is very energetic and I'm interested in any (cost effective) additional activities that will be fun for him and not leave me feeling I've run a marathon at the end of the day. I searched the newsgroup posts to find a discussion thread of interest involving arts and crafts appropriate for toddlers. It's disheartening to find even here posts from rather disturbed and offensive people.
Despite the sick elements there was actually a lot of good content. Whilst the task asks us to post a comment and receive a reply, which is to be then copied here, I found answers to my questions posed in this field. Following my readings on net etiquette I was reluctant to post a question that had already been answered (hopefully this demonstrates applied learning). Through my readings of the posts I identified two useful websites, amongst other hints and tips, as following :

http://fun.familyeducation.com/childrens-art-activities/crafts/33376.html

Whilst I indicate that there was some strong and relevant content to be found in newsgroups, there is obviously a strongly underdesirable element associated with this form of information sharing. This sours what should be a fun and informative pursuit.

No comments: