I started the day off trying to rectify my FTP issue mentioned in the prior post. After spending some time on it I decided to uninstall Core FTP and get on with the readings and tasks given the blog is up and running. The readings added an extra dimension to my basic understanding how the Internet works.
Telnet Task
I tried entering 'telnet://' into the browser URL and nothing happened. I then carried a google search on 'telnet and windows' which gave me a vast selection of programs. Not being conversant with IT lingo I felt quickly overwhelmed, not being sure at all if they all do the same thing, wondering if I will choose the right one or if it would turn my PC into some kind of robot. When faced with such doubt I turned to the discussion board (thankyou Dewa). Having obtained a solution I typed 'telnet' into the start/run command. Then it was on.... using the help functions and following the prompts I successfully accessed the Deakin library database.
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Task
Following my success with the start/run command I tried typing in 'FTP' just to see what would happen. It actually worked!! Well, to an extent. Using the help functions I figured out how to log on, just could not figure out how to browse the folders. I turned to http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm and went through the basic tutorial and downloaded the free 30 day trial version. I proceeded to ftp to recall.curtin.edu, following the module instructions and successfully found the README file... found the missing word 'Capitalisation'! ...and the tasks drop like flies as I start to realise I need to be a bit more confident and just have a go (plus say a small prayer I don't reformat my hard drive along the way!!)
Internet Tools Task
Having a look at traceroute I couldn't help but have a quick fantasy about tracking Russian mafia funds around the world from a dark room accentuated with large glowing screens, looking up over the rims of my glasses with excitement as I found that final account... you may not find it exciting but I used to work in insurance :). But seriously, how cool is some of this tech.
I ran the traceroute from http://centralops.net/co/, this demonstrated 22 hops to reach curtin.edu.au. An IP for curtin.edu.au was given as 134.7.134.47. The ping demonstrated that the average time was 246 milliseconds.
That's it for today... out of time... my thanks again to fellow students for your invaluable advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment