
I began the task by pinging curtin.edu.au using the internet tool. This resulted in 5 hops (I understand each hop refers to each router encountered)and an average time of 246ms. From the PC I sent two pings. One using A-Tool and the other using DOS commands. The result from the ping sent from DOS were better summarised so I'll be using those. The DOS ping resulted in 4 hops and an average time of 86ms.
Similar results turned up on the traceroute. The PC based excercise resulted in 20 hops with an average time of 86ms vs. 23 hops with an average time of 246ms using the online tool. I did expect the PC to be faster so I was glad to see it was. I'm just not 100% sure if I am right as to why.
I reasoned that if the application was excecuted directly from the PC it would ultimately mean that there would fewer components to the communication chain. Additionally, there are other factors to consider such as hardware. External servers may have insufficient RAM or may be experiencing heavy traffic for example. I'm sure there are other reasons I've missed so I left a post on the discussion board to see if anything further needs to be considered. Melissa Austernin posted '...the difference is in the efficiency of the network routers (hardware) and routes listed in the routing config table.' (Msg 518, 3 December 2006). This confirms my views about hardware and I admit I did not think of the routing config tables, which also makes sense.
I visited a number of websites in trying to learn more about internet tools, pinging and traceroute in particular. Links can be found under Module 1 Additional Resources for sites that actually had some relevant content. Bleeping Computer I found to be particularly useful and I'm sure I will be visiting it from time to time throughout the duration of my studies.
Similar results turned up on the traceroute. The PC based excercise resulted in 20 hops with an average time of 86ms vs. 23 hops with an average time of 246ms using the online tool. I did expect the PC to be faster so I was glad to see it was. I'm just not 100% sure if I am right as to why.
I reasoned that if the application was excecuted directly from the PC it would ultimately mean that there would fewer components to the communication chain. Additionally, there are other factors to consider such as hardware. External servers may have insufficient RAM or may be experiencing heavy traffic for example. I'm sure there are other reasons I've missed so I left a post on the discussion board to see if anything further needs to be considered. Melissa Austernin posted '...the difference is in the efficiency of the network routers (hardware) and routes listed in the routing config table.' (Msg 518, 3 December 2006). This confirms my views about hardware and I admit I did not think of the routing config tables, which also makes sense.
I visited a number of websites in trying to learn more about internet tools, pinging and traceroute in particular. Links can be found under Module 1 Additional Resources for sites that actually had some relevant content. Bleeping Computer I found to be particularly useful and I'm sure I will be visiting it from time to time throughout the duration of my studies.
I've not diplayed the full results of the traceroute and pings as I've not been able to present them in a legible format. As can be seen in the earier post the tables are difficult to follow and the screen dump is also difficult to read. Needless to say though that the tasks were sucessfully executed.
No comments:
Post a Comment