Monday, January 15, 2007

Module 4 - Tasks (Product Evaluation)

For this exercise I've chosen to evaluate the following two products below. I've chosen Copernic Desktop Search 2.0 and Bookmark Buddy to help locate and manage my information, something I indicated in an earlier post I was looking for.

Copernic Desktop Search



    I thought to myself 'this looks useful', their website shows that the product has received some recognition from the broader community - and who could resist the price (free) - so I downloaded it. After download Copernic went through and indexed everything on my laptop. Following that I rebooted and opened the application. I found Copernic easy to use, demonstrating a single interface and access to search function added to the desktop bar. I quickly removed the Copernic bar from the browser as I dislike the clutter, a personal preference. The screen layout is clear and easy to follow on the opened application.

    A desktop search on Curtin reveals that Copernic's search is quite comprehensive, listing anything within the specified categories, including your Internet history, lending strength to it's functionality. But will it improve my efficiency, I think 'yes'. Beyond the desktop, the search engine delves into the Internet seeking and displaying relevant information as a traditional search engine would work, however it also provides the options to browse news or images related to the search. The added ability to organise your searches removes much redundancy of repetitive actions. In short it is an effective utility that I would suggest both elementary and advanced users will appreciate.


Bookmark Buddy

    I downloaded the 30 day trial version of the software as I am not willing at this point to spend USD29.95 on acquiring it. This already made me start thinking of looking a completely free product and accordingly do not intend to delve too deeply, only enough to get a feel for the product and its function. I tried to download by the ftp option, however it just hung. Then again, I've had a lot of problems with ftp and I still don't know why.

    Bookmark Buddy has a user-friendly interface and for a novice user the 'buddy tips' are welcome on start up. After opening the application you are presented with a number of 'smart folders', with pre-existing bookmarks arranged within an array of folders and sub-folders, also useful. Populating the product with my existing bookmarks was as simple as selecting 'file', then 'import' from the drop down box. Its ease of use is enhanced by the help menu and search function, offering a variety of filters and options. The functionality of bookmark buddy is quickly apparent however some possible limitations concern me, how many levels (or sub-categories) will it handle. A valid concern if you have complex information requirements.

    A super annoyance is the fact Bookmark Buddy disappears every time it is minimised rather than staying open, hampering it's accessibility. Some ground is gained with the products portability, good if your on the move as you can keep you data on a memory stick or other portable device. So whilst relatively functional as a utility it is unlikely to increase my effectiveness at this point in time. There is simply not enough in it for me to spend US29.95. If this product is reaching a benchmark of commonality then I'd be concerned about the quality of the competition. It looks likely I'm still happy with my browser favorites.

No comments: